Wednesday, July 14, 2010

{Tour} Big & Little's Bedroom

Another thing that was great about our "stay-cation" was that I got to finish up a few projects I'd been sitting on—all of them for the Sisters' room! So now I declare the room done-ish!!! (I think that's the closest it will ever get. I'm never really done with anything. . .)

First off though, let me thank all of you for the sweet comments and attention because of the pallet beds! It's really fun when something I've made and love is appreciated by others as well! 

CRW_0602

Gotta tell you. I LOVE this room.

It's been a work in progress for the last couple of years, and we took a few risks, but I am so pleased with how everything has come together!

The walls are painted in Bird's Egg (benjamin moore paint) which I first saw years ago in a room that Domino magazine featured. I instantly fell in love with it and kept it in my file until the right moment.

The funny thing about my falling in love with this color is that the idea of blue walls make me nervous. No idea why. But they do. I think there's a very mundane, boring blue out there that I'm afraid every blue will wind up looking like.

Also, I don't do light colors.

White scares me. I'm afraid it will look too clinical or cold. Light colors are just a step away. The year before I got married, I painted my bedroom this lovely, silvery, lavender color. I couldn't stand it. So I traded it in for a very vibrant, in-your-face magenta. It was perfect. I embrace bold, funky color. Neutrals freak me out.

Those magazines where they talk about taking a risk and experimenting with color. . .I have no idea what they're talking about!! But I think I'm coming around. I just painted my kitchen white & love it. I also have plans for my currently peacock blue (the blue was a risk too, but I ended up liking it) living room to try on a stone color. This is my practice house after all!!

Anyway! More of the room!!!

CRW_0606

The kitchenette was built by my cousin for the girls and the table and chairs set belonged to my Mom and then me before it made it's way up here.

CRW_0614_1
CRW_0616_1

The only thing that makes me truly unhappy about this room is that ugly air conditioner!!! Absolutely necessary as I prefer not to cook my girls in their sleep in their attic bedroom, but so unattractive! Anyone have or seen ideas on how to cover it while keeping it effective? I haven't come up with anything, obviously!

CRW_0624
CRW_0632

The dark brown rocking chair was mine as a little girl as well and now belongs to Big.  YiaYia (my Mom) bought Little one for her birthday so she would have one, too.

CRW_0639
CRW_0077

Cute bunting I made using scraps from the Sisters' quilts and each of their letters which I spray painted. I may do more to them at some point, but right now I like the solid color in that corner of bright, bold & busy patterns.

CRW_0641

I bought these 3 little bird houses at JoAnn's for $1, $1 and $.25!!!! A little spray paint until I decide to get a little more creative . . . if I decide to—again, I'm really liking the solid color. Cheap, easy and extremely cute!!

CRW_0661

We bought that little house pillow on our vacation last summer in Eureka Springs, AR at the cutest little shop called Wilson & Wilson folkart co.  Easily could spend a lot of money in that shop! Wait, we did! But it's a good thing it takes 9-ish hours to get to their brick & mortar store! I do better maintaining my composure online than when I'm standing in the middle of it!

I want to make lots and lots of those little houses. A little house pillow village!

CRW_0659

When it gets time to move, I'm really going to miss this room! Nate keeps saying that it can be reproduced, so I'm crossing my fingers! Plus, when we do move, I've got this great cast-iron bathtub couch back home that was my Mom's and would look AMAZING in this room! I'd have it up there already, but those old attic room stairs are incredibly steep and that bathtub is HEAVY. Plus, the doorway leading up there only has about 24" clearance and I don't think it would fit!! But as soon as I live somewhere where it will go through the door, it will take a trip from KS to TN!!! :)

xoxo Lori Danelle

10 comments:

  1. I'm really loving this room!! Seriously, everything about it is awesome! You've got to share how you made the "bookshelves" (unless you did already and I missed it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looove the pics! The room is gorgeous and I can't wait to post about it over on Baby Space :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! My daughter (5 y.o.) and I loved this room!

    Keep creating!!

    Green kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful!!! (Now, where are you hiding the toys?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this room!

    I painted bird houses for my daughter's room too. Check them out here:

    http://www.bird-on-a-line.com/2009/05/redecorating-on-dime-in-afternoon.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, you caught me! Well sort of. :)

    We have built-in shelves on the wall across from the play kitchen as well as a trunk for toys. However, I'm still working on a way to organize those toys in a way that would be worthy of a photograph!

    Did we have as many toys as our kids when we were young???? I'm starting to dread every gift giving holiday and birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job in the room!!!! btw- I think the beds are neat! (isn't Eureka Springs, AR the coolist place to go to????) I would love to get the plans for the kitchen....

    ReplyDelete
  8. this room is pure dream! I wouldn't change a thing! (ok, maybe the ac) amazing is not enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, this room is just amazing! You did a great job putting it all together - it's just gorgeous! I linked it to my childrens rooms post too today, I just had to share it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad that you've stopped by this blog & I LOVE hearing your feedback and questions — however, as this blog is no longer active I may not see it!! But no worries! I've moved all content from this blog to my new website and would appreciate it if you visited me over there: Lori Danelle.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails